The cinema which became the cinematheque of Tizi-Ouzou, was inaugurated on May 19, 1910 by Charles Bousquet and was basically a village hall, where all the municipal festivals, associations, balls of the city were organized as well as the various shows of various troupes, it was called “Salle Bousquet”
In 1912, the Pathé cinema moved to Tizi-Ouzou in the Bousquet room, and on May 31, 1912 the first screening of a color film entitled “Notre Dame de Paris” after Victor Hugo.
The hall could hold 500 spectators. A first series of performances took place during the first 4 months, then after an interruption of a few months, the Pathé cinema, resumed its regular screenings and the village hall became the “Bousquet cinema”.
In February 1913, in front of the success met with the Tizi-Ouziens, sessions of projection were essential the afternoons of Sunday and public holidays, the success grew with the wire of the sessions and many spectators had to attend it standing.
During the summer, the cinema was on break and the sessions were suspended at the end of June, only to resume on the 1st of October. It should be noted that at the time, electricity consumption was limited and the shops were no longer lit from 6 p.m., which forced restaurants, cafes, bars and drinking places to close at 9:30 p.m.
In February 1914, the Bousquet cinema was equipped with a new projection booth entirely in masonry and completely independent of the hall. This gave the whole thing a conformity and a guarantee of security not found in many cinemas in Europe.
After independence, this room will take the name of “Cinéma Le Mondial”. It will then give its name to the district where it is established as well as to several commercial signs of the surrounding stores. The cinema knew several years of glory and received the greatest directors of world renown, but unfortunately the dark decade and many other events oblige the authorities to close this completely ransacked space.
After its closure for several decades, the Ministry of Culture recovers this room and allocates it to the Algerian Cinematheque to count it among its many repertory rooms.
On July 2, 2012, Mr Dahou OULD KABLIA, Minister of the Interior at the time, inaugurated the fully renovated Tizi-Ouzou film library, and its management was entrusted to Ms Tassadit Attaf who is currently the manager of this magnificent room .
But the official reopening of this cinematographic space, will only take place on October 17, 2012, in the presence of local authorities, a date which coincides with the commemoration of the events of October 17, 1961 by offering the general public the world premiere of the documentary on the revolution.
With a significant capacity of 250 very comfortable seats spread over two levels, i.e. 150 seats for the orchestra and 100 seats for the balcony, the new cinematheque of Tizi-Ouzou is also equipped with the latest generation of projection equipment both for 35 mm films and for DVD and BLUE RAY projections.
Since its opening, the Tizi-Ouzou film library has offered its general public various programs and cycles from great Algerian and foreign directors, but what makes film lovers happy in this city of genets are screenings followed by debates in presence of directors and / or producers, actors, technicians … organized at least once or twice a month, without forgetting its great collaboration with the various cultural establishments and in particular the direction of the culture of the wilaya for the celebration of the various dates commemorative events, and its participation with special screenings at events and festivals organized by the culture sector. The Tizi-Ouzou Cinematheque today offers film buffs in this city, 2 screenings per day during the weekdays and 3 screenings on Friday and Saturday, not to mention the cinematographic evenings organized during the month of Ramadhan very appreciated by our public